|
Module 1
Introduction & Twitter
Part 1
|
Activities/Assignments
●
First Day of Class (October 5)
1) Join
Twitter
2) Follow
instructor: @JessL
●
By end of day Oct. 5 send
an introductory tweet with the
class hashtag: #EXSM3988
●
by Oct. 9 complete the
activity -
Practise: Writing Ledes with Twitter
●
by end of day Oct. 9
○
Class Blog: Add a comment on my Module 1 post – introduce yourself
and share with us
your thoughts on this week’s readings/video |
Monday, 5 October 2015
Module 1: Introduction & Twitter (Part 1)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My name is Diana Rhodes, I thought this week's reading and video was very interesting. Never knew that twitter was started as a Micro-blog that asked the question "What are you doing?"
ReplyDeleteHello! This is Alia Kezbary, A communication and PR expert. Modules 1 was a great tool to understand how new media can make a change, create a global outreach and build relationships globally.In addition Module 1 has outlined how the tweet lede should answer the 5"Ws" and "H".
ReplyDeleteHi everyone, I’m Sharon, super excited to start this course that I’m taking for work to amp up my social media writing skills. Module 1 was relatively simple but challenging nonetheless. Writing ledes was hard! I’ve never thought of constructing my tweets in a lede format that tells information while drawing people in. The reading was interesting and I do agree that I use twitter to increase connectivity but I feel I engage with it more for the message content. The articles and readings that really stick with me and the ones I share with my friends are all discovered through twitter. It’s been such an awesome way to expand my knowledge on different topics. When I do share them, it's retweeting but often sending my friends links via text, fb or email. Anyone else find that they log onto twitter for the content rather than connectivity?
ReplyDeleteHello! My name is Lisa Kruk and I am the Store Manager at Sublime Swim and Sunwear in St. Albert. I will be taking over the marketing at the store and am looking forward to increasing my knowledge and expertise in social media. I enjoyed the first lessons, especially learning how to write ledes that will help draw attention to my twitter posts. I never thought of writing them using the "5WH" template. The videos really demonstrated in an effective way just how important social media is to developing an effective marketing strategy.I am looking forward to learning much, much more in the next couple of weeks.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi! My name is Melissa! I thrive on learning as much about the world of social media as I can! It is the future after all! I found the post on writing ledes especially interesting. Coming from a news journalist background I find writing hard news ledes relatively simple so tips on writing feature story ledes is particularly helpful. Personally, I find Facebook and Instagram great tools to connect with people I know and primarily use Twitter to learn what the news of the day is!
ReplyDeleteHi everyone! My name is Anne Hanson. I have a BA in English and a Public Relations Diploma with over 10 years experience in Public Relations. I work from home doing communications consulting and increasingly, social media has become a part of my day-to-day work life. I enjoyed the readings and videos for Module 1. The Machine is Using Us was really eye opening and I thought the research piece on Twitter was thought provoking. It's nice to read actual research that backs up the assumptions we make about creating connectivity online. I also liked the practical approach for using the 5 W's and H for writing effective Twitter ledes. It will be an interesting challenge to fit so much info into 140 characters!
ReplyDeleteHi Everyone, my name is Beverly and I am very much looking forward to working through this course. Although a 'simple' idea, I found the Writing Ledes exercise quite helpful in breaking down the details of a topic in order to write an informative yet concise lede. I work for an advertising agency and am particularly interested in how businesses can utilize the various social media platforms. With so much content being generated in the online world I am interested in how businesses can find their space and voice in order to effectively engage and communicate with their audience. Looking forward to meeting you all!
ReplyDeleteMy name is Alexander Smoliak, and I consider myself a newbie to social media who is seeking to find possible uses for the new media tools for non-profits. I found the readings of interest, particularly the one called "Tweet This", as it outlines the motivations for using media such as a desire for information, potential connection or status. I find that I use social media mostly for content, or accessing current events online. I agree that communicating via social media is harder than it appears--it is important to learn better ways to better engage and communicate with others, as the sheer volume of content requires you to develop content that is compelling and interesting enough to pull in your intended audience.
ReplyDeleteHi, my name is Liz and I am the social media person for a small non-profit. Though the job is important, it was just tacked on to my other responsibilities, so unfortunately I haven't been able to give it the attention it deserves. Until now! I've tried to tweet daily about our activities, events, and tips for parents, and also to retweet interesting research. I've often wondered what the secret was to a dynamic tweet. I definitely learned a few tricks this week -- the blog on writing ledes was a great start! I was surprised that the whole basic story could fit into 140 characters.
ReplyDeleteHi everyone! I'm Meagan. I use social media a lot and so I'm also clicking and sharing articles on twitter, but I'd never connected that with writing ledes before! It really makes a difference in writing the tweet to think of the 5W/H! I thought the Machine is Us/ing Us video was particularly interesting because of the way it drew on how the web has evolved from mere HTML sites to a much more dynamic and interactive system.
ReplyDeleteHi everyone, my name is Nahla. I have a bachelor's degree in Integrated Marketing and Communication. I graduated 5 years ago and back then the use of social media including Twitter and Facebook was not as intensive as it is now. What we learned was relatively basic and i started adding to my knowledge by using the different social mediums for my personal use. I am eager to specifically learn more about twitter since it is always challenging to fit news and announcements in phrases of 140 characters or less. I found the handout about writing leads very helpful since it showed different examples and helped me decided what should the focus be and what should not ( the who,when,where,what and how). I also enjoyed the paper written about the use of Twitter to satisfy the personal need to connect with people. I enjoyed the videos especially the X plane video. It was very interesting/ shocking displaying all the statistics about the use of the internet and the different sites and how they gained popularity over the years. I am looking forward to get into module 2 and learn more.
ReplyDeleteHi Everyone. I'm Rachel and I work for a health and safety non-profit. I'm really interested in learning how to communicate with critics without taking the conversation 'offline' and not getting defensive or being condescending. I think this separates the good social media moderators from the novices. Also, telling a story in 140 characters is hard work! Keeping the 5W's and 1H in mind certainly helps. Now it's ensuring that people want to click!
ReplyDeleteHi all -- could have sworn I just posted something seconds ago but it's not showing up. Trying again -- clearly I am a blogging newby. I'm Lorelei, staying up late in a bid to catch up. I liked Module 1's "Common Craft" video because it reassured me that there might, in fact, be an audience out there for even the simplest of my tweets, and reminded me that it's only 140 characters, for crying out loud. No big deal!
ReplyDeleteHi I am Marjorie. With 8 years’ experience, I am Public Relations gal that loves great online content, all things social media, Canadian Press Style, food, wine & music. I loved the readings. I really enjoyed the videos.
ReplyDelete